25 Must-Have Photography Apps for Your Smartphone
If you think your smartphone is for phone calls only, think again. Beyond using your smartphone as a portable office, you can also detail and archive the world around you with the photography features built into these phones. The complaint has been the lack of professional detail in the photographs, but that has changed, too — if you understand your native smartphone camera and apply a few photography apps to your shots, you can end up with some award-winning shots. The following list of 25 must-have photography apps is divided into tools specifically created for Androids and iPhones.
Android Photo Apps
- Action Snap: Choose a time interval from 0.1s to 5s and start capturing photos by one click only, or you can use the custom mode to take photos one by one.
- Camera ZOOM FX: This app contains a circular zoom wheel (4x digital), Iris animation with free skin packs, save, delete, share, and fullscreen shutter. Rotate zoom wheel to zoom, tap to shoot.
- Night Vision Camera: This application maximizes your device camera in the dark. Use the automatic adjustment of image parts to improve visibility in low light conditions.
- Paper Camera: See the world through a new, original, stylish and captivating lens, have a wonder in your own home and discover how cool your world is in cartoon.
- Photaf Panorama: Create amazing panoramas from your Android phone up to 360 degrees. When done, you can move your phone around to see the complete panoramic view by using the phone’s compass or the touch screen.
- Photo Art — Color Effects: Thirty effects, including sepia, grayscale, tint, etc., and 12 brush types included in this app. Sharing capabilities, too.
- Photo Tools: This app contains a collection of photography tools for professionals and ambitious amateurs, including distance calculator, graycard, color wheel, and field of view calculator.
- Photobucket Mobile: The Free Photobucket Mobile app helps you access your Photobucket account, find whatever you want, or take pictures and videos and share them with everyone in your network from any location.
- PhotoFunia: Put your face on a billboard, a stamp, or in a Warhol-like work of pop-art. Become the Mona Lisa or a bodybuilder. You get over 150 scenes to play with. You’re not cutting and pasting; instead, the app “finds” the face in your photo and integrates it with the scene of your choice.
- Photoshop Express for Android: Fix photos fast with crop, straighten, rotate, flip, and adjust color, and make eye-catching enhancements with filters and effects. Email photos to family, friends, Facebook, and Twitpic.
- PicSay Pro Photo Editor: Sharpen, remove red eye, crop and straighten, distort, insert cutouts of other pictures, paint, make color splash out of black-and-white pictures, add text, word balloons, apply effects like Cross Process, Lomo, Vignette, faux HDR, Tilt-shift, Pencil Sketch, and much more with this tool.
- Pudding Camera: This free app provides a timer feature, Triplex camera, and easy sharing to Twitter, Facebook, and Tumblr.
- Vignette: Vignette adds 76 film and camera effects and 57 frames to photos using an Android smartphone, including retro and vintage styles.
iPhone Photo Apps
- A+ Camera Flash: A+ Camera Flash uses a smart algorithm that checks brightness of each pixel and intelligently lightens dark pixels when necessary. This method will not blow up the highlight area, which makes your photos more detailed, vivid, and brighter.
- Camera +: With Camera+ you’re able to use your iPhone to shoot the best photos you possibly can. Packed with several useful features that your standard camera app doesn’t include, your pics will improve the instant you start using this tool.
- Camera Awesome: Shoot photos and video with several options to choose from. The app has an image stabilization feature, a self-timer, four composition guides to choose from to set up your frame perfectly, and a burst option to take several shots in rapid succession.
- Everpix: The app keeps the photos on your phone, in the cloud and in the optional desktop Mac perfectly in sync – meaning if a photo is deleted from one place, it disappears from the others as well. You can also sync Everpix to fetch photos from services like Facebook, Instagram, Flickr, and more.
- Fuzel: The best app to create a collage, this tool comes with 36 preset layouts of varied widths and aspect ratios, or you can make your own. Fuzel also comes with 18 filters and the ability to apply those filters to individual shots rather than to the whole collage.
- FX Photo Studio: Hands down, the best variety and one of the largest collections on App Store, including Lo-Fi, art, frames, vintage, graffiti, tilt-shift, blurs, grunge, textures, black & white, sketches, pixelate, and more.
- GroupShot: Load your photos, replace faces, and end up with the perfect group shot from that mix.
- Kicksend: You can send up to 30 photos to your friends at a time, making the sharing process easier than ever. Everyone must sign up for this application to work.
- oSnap Voice Enable Camera: Take photos with your voice, with an app that responds to “Shoot,” “Cheese,” or “Snap.” You can also switch flash modes by saying “flash on,” “flash off,” or “flash auto.”
- Pinwheel: Rather than just send multiple photos to individuals, Pinwheel allows groups of people to view and contribute to group albums. When uploading photos to Pinwheel, they can also be automatically shared with your Facebook friends and Twitter followers if you want.
- Retro Camera Plus: Inspired by the old Lomo, Holga, Polaroid, Diana, and toy cameras with those iconic styles, Retro Camera provides old-school pics your friends will drool over. Contains five cameras and five sets of vintage vignetting, film scratch, and cross processing effects for that off-the-hip analog look.
- TiltShift: This application simulates a tilt-shift lens that tricks your mind into viewing a photo as a miniature scene.
Did you enjoy this article?